Friday, January 21, 2011

With Cold Hands, Gamma Pi Brothers Display Warm Hearts on MLK Day

by Bro. Terry Rogers

with Bro. Grand Basileus Ray (2nd,left) 
I started out the morning not knowing exactly how the day would go, but I had a feeling that it was going to be great! The reason that I felt it was going to be great was because it was celebration day; it was a day in which I would be honoring Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday. Not only would I be serving as Dr. King taught us to serve, butI would be doing so while wearing Purple and Gold with my Gamma Pi fraternity brothers as well as brothers from all over the region.

Omega Psi Phi Fraternity is a GREAT fraternity because its foundation is built on friendship and service, and on this day we were serving the needs of the less fortunate which is what our Social Action Program is all about. Social Action is about service. Dr. King, in his "Drum Major Instinct" speech spoke of what it takes to be GREAT. He quotes Jesus by saying, "But whosoever will be great among you, shall be your servant: and whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all." In other words, in order to be GREAT you should be a servant.

with DR Bro.Kenneth Rodgers (left)
When I arrived at the Martin Luther King Jr. library and looked around and I saw a sea of Purple and Gold men carrying boxes, setting up tables, distributing food, handing out bags, talking and showing love to the downtrodden, I knew this was a GREAT fraternity. But then I looked again and Brother Grand Basileus Andrew Ray was making his way through the crowd shaking hands not only with Brothers but with ALL the people. The "Grand Brother" was not surrounded by a team of security, he was simply among the people. Brother Ray did not hesitate to jump right in and "serve". It was another one of those Proud Omega Moments for me, one that I will cherish forever.  Brothers please join in with the Gamma Pi Social Action Committee and serve Prince George's County. Our motto is "Service is Our Mission, UPLIFT is Our Goal." FIETTS ... (Photos from Bro. Dr. Harrison Foy).

No comments:

Post a Comment